Patient Care Services (PCS) at Al Salam International Hospital is a dynamic department. Patient care is delivered by competent staff in Inpatient and Outpatient areas, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. PCS consists of the following departments:
- Nursing Services
- Dietary Services
- Clinical Pharmacist
Al Salam International Hospital maintains the highest standards of nursing care by a team of highly qualified registered nurses. Our nurses provide total patient care, following the principles of Nursing Process. We aim at constantly improving the standards of care through adequate supervision, performance improvement measures and continuous education. Patient and family education is an integral part of Nursing process at Al Salam International Hospital.
Dietary Services provides optimal nutritional care and quality food services to patients. A Clinical Dietitian is available to perform nutritional assessment on every patient and for continuous monitoring of the services.
Catering Company Diet Care
Diet Care is a leading food industry in Kuwait and the Gulf region that promotes healthy living to its customers by being the provider of high quality, safe and nutritious catering; and a source of reliable and accurate nutritional education and information.
Clinical Pharmacy: is the branch of Pharmacy where pharmacists provide clinical patient care that optimizes the use of medication and promotes health, wellness and disease prevention collaboratively with physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals.
Al Salam International Hospital has initiated the clinical pharmacist concept and role since March, 2010 in the Internal Medicine Department to implement its vision and believes of excellence and best quality in patient care. Nowadays, services have been extended to include our patients all over the hospital units.
Clinical Pharmacist Role
Within the system of health care, clinical pharmacists are experts in the therapeutic use of medications. They routinely provide medication therapy evaluations and recommendations to patients and other health care professionals. Clinical pharmacists are a primary source of scientifically valid information and advice regarding the safe, appropriate, and cost-effective use of medications. Services including:
1. Medication Reconciliation: Is a process designed to prevent medication errors at client transition points by creating an accurate list of all medications a client is currently taking and comparing that list against the physician’s medication orders (given at admission, transfer, or discharge).
Clinical pharmacist will:
- Review medication regimen upon admission: patients or their care givers will be interviewed to collect their home medication, past and current medical condition, allergies, and any special alerts to be taken into consideration.
- Follow up patient medications list during hospitalization.
- Review Medication List upon discharge.
- Provide Medication Calendar to discharged patients as seen necessary.
2. Counseling upon Discharge:
- Counseling session will be provided for discharged patients to optimize their therapy and improve their quality of life.
3. Drug Information Source:
- For all health care provides, the clinical pharmacist can be approached regarding any medication enquiry.
- Promote the rational and appropriate use of medicinal products and devices.
4. Educational Role:
- By giving seminars, presentation, public talk to health professional, patients and their families regarding medication therapy or medical conditions.
5. Adverse Drug Reactions:
- Once occur, the clinical pharmacist have a role in investigating, documenting, and tracking these reactions to improve our patient care.
6. Meetings and Committees:
- Involvement in a multidisciplinary committees and teams hospital wide for holistic patient care.